1. Almost a third of published authors make less than $500 a year from their writing, according to a new survey.
2. E-book subscription site Oyster has partnered with Pottermore to make all 10 Harry Potter-related titles available via a subscription service.
3. Helen Macdonald’s H is for Hawk has won the £30,000 Costa Book of the Year Award.
4. Tesco to close its e-books service blinkbox Books at the end of February after talks with Waterstones to buy the platform broke down.
5. Stanfords is relaunching the Dolman Travel Book of the Year prize, doubling its prize money, and creating a new award for travel writing.